Friday, November 15, 2013

What ever happened to the phrase "Casual Sex"?


Back in the 70s and 80s,  when I was a kid the phrase casual sex meant something. It had some real impact. I remember hearing of a girl I know in college who was engaging in casual sex and my friends and I all thought it was scandalous. Granted, we were all wishing that we were the luck recipients of this girl's favors, but it was nonetheless, a term that changed the way we thought of her.
large breasted woman with a cowboy hat

In the movies you'd hear people talking about casual sex too. Those where the movies that you didn't tell your parents, or your "proper" girlfriend about. In those days we were all so tame - so simple - so horny.

These days you virtually never hear anyone talking about casual sex. I did hear a couple of old guys talking about it in the mall while they watched the young girls wander by and waited for their wrinkled wives to return from buying sensible shoes. But I digress. These days sex is so casual that you don't need to give it a special moniker. All sex these days is casual. OK perhaps not casual in that it's relaxed, but in that it's no big deal. These days high school girls are having sex on their lunch period (I guess they always did, but they were tramps). Guys are sexting and hooking up nightly with random women - in random places - at random times.

Sex is so commonplace that the mayor of Toronto is discussing his oral sex habits during press conferences. What's next, TV sportscasters getting it on during an interview in a locker room? When will this spiral end? Will sex ever be casual again?

Anyhow, I'm ranting. I guess I'm still jealous.

No comments:

Post a Comment